History of Agassiz, British Columbia

The story of Agassiz begins as the last Ice Age waned. In southwest British Columbia, the Fraser Glaciation reached its peak between about 17,000 and 15,000 years ago and then retreated quickly. The Lower Fraser Valley became largely ice free between about 14,000 and 12,500 years ago, and by about 11,700 years ago, the start of the Holocene, the Agassiz area was free of ice. At its height, the Cordilleran Ice Sheet buried the Fraser Valley under as much as 5,000 feet of ice. As the climate warmed, glaciers carved a broad trough between the Coast and Cascade Mountains, and meltwater cut new channels, laid down rich alluvial silt, and reshaped the valley floor. In the wake of the ice, a fertile plain emerged, ringed by peaks and fed by the braided Fraser River and its tributaries. Forests of cedar and fir took root. Salmon began their runs up the newly opened rivers. The land that would become Agassiz stood ready for its first peoples.

The First Peoples of Xwchíyò:m – “Wild Strawberry Place”

Humans arrived in the Fraser Valley thousands of years ago, and Indigenous Stó:lō peoples (“people of the river”) have called this region home since time immemorial. Long before the area was named Agassiz, the Halq'eméylem-speaking Stó:lō knew this place by names reflecting its bounty and beauty. One traditional name for Agassiz is Xwchíyò:m, meaning “Wild Strawberry Place,” recalling the sweet berries that carpeted its meadows. Indeed, the very name of Mount Cheam – the iconic peak looming above the valley – is said to derive from a word for wild strawberries. Stó:lō oral histories tie the land to living beings and ancient transformations. Mount Cheam itself is Lhílheqey, a Sto:lo matriarch. According to legend, she was a woman transformed by the supernatural Xexá:ls (the Transformers) and placed here to watch over her people forever. In the story told by elders, Lhílheqey had married Mt. Baker (Komo Kulshan) far to the south, but returned to her Fraser River home with her children. Taking her place as Mount Cheam, she vowed to stand guard over the valley so that no harm would come to her Stó:lō people or the salmon that sustain them. To this day she stands, with her three daughters forming the smaller adjacent peaks, and even her faithful dog turned to stone at her side. Such sxwōxwiyám (origin stories) imbue every feature of the landscape with cultural meaning and presence.

For countless generations prior to European contact, the Stó:lō thrived in this abundant valley environment. They built villages along the Fraser and Harrison rivers, taking advantage of the seasonal riches of salmon runs, sturgeon, eulachon, and game. One early community in what is now Agassiz was a village called Skuhamen, home to a local tribe known as the Siyá:ta (recorded by anthropologist Franz Boas as “Siyita”). They were part of the broader Coast Salish world (Halkomelem-speaking peoples, closely related to today’s Stó:lō). The valley provided for all their needs: salmon from the rivers, berries and roots from the forests and clearings, and cedar wood for houses, canoes, and baskets. They lived according to a seasonal round, moving between village sites and resource areas at different times of year, and maintained complex social networks up and down the river.

The land was not just an economic base but a spiritual one. Elders passed down oral histories about places like Harrison Lake and the surrounding mountains. The people respected powerful beings said to inhabit the wilds – including the Sasq’ets, or Sasquatch, a hairy wild man of the woods. The notion of large, mysterious ape-like figures in the forests was part of local lore long before it became a pop culture phenomenon. The Sts’ailes (Chehalis) people across the Harrison River told of encounters with these shy giants, considering them another tribe of beings living in remote mountain areas. This rich tapestry of myth and memory connected the Stó:lō to their environment on a profound level.

Yet life was not always idyllic; the Stó:lō also weathered disasters and change. Oral traditions speak of great floods that once covered the land (perhaps echoing real post-glacial floods). And in the late 18th century, an invisible scourge arrived ahead of any white explorers: smallpox. The disease swept up the trade routes from the coast in 1782, igniting an epidemic that was catastrophic for Indigenous communities. With no immunity to this new sickness, entire villages were stricken. The Stó:lō heartland was ravaged – including the people of Skuhamen at present-day Agassiz. That village and many others were reportedly wiped out by the smallpox epidemic of 1782 to 1783. Within a few months, a thriving populace was reduced to empty longhouses. It was a tragic harbinger of further upheavals to come.

In the aftermath of the plague, the land healed but human patterns shifted. Not far from Agassiz, on an island near Hope, a community of enslaved Indigenous people (captives taken in inter-tribal conflicts) had lived under the control of the local Chehalis. After the epidemics weakened their masters, these slaves seized a chance for freedom. In a remarkable episode of resilience, the freed people crafted large catamarans by lashed-together canoes and set off down the Fraser River in search of a new home. They landed at the mouth of Harrison River, on the deserted site of the smallpox-decimated village. Here they established a new settlement called Chi’ckim (meaning “Freedom Village”) around the turn of the 19th century. Freedom Village grew as a community of former slaves determined to start anew on the rich flats of Agassiz. Over time, the people of Chi’ckim intermarried with neighboring Stó:lō groups and their distinct village gradually became absorbed into other communities. But the memory of Freedom Village lives on as a testament to survival and adaptation in the face of disaster and social change.

Early Encounters and Epidemics: Fur Traders and “The Great Sickness”

The first known Europeans passed through the Agassiz area in the early 19th century, though they left little immediate footprint. In 1808, explorer Simon Fraser and his crew navigated down the treacherous river that now bears his name, canoeing past the mouth of the Harrison River (just west of present Agassiz) on their journey to the coast. Fraser was struck by the lush valley and its people – he described large Stó:lō villages and bountiful fisheries – but his visit was brief. The river would later be named for him, yet the land remained firmly under Indigenous control for decades more. By the 1820s, however, agents of the Hudson’s Bay Company began to establish a presence in Stó:lō territory. Fort Langley was founded downriver in 1827, and Fort Yale upriver in 1848, bookending the Fraser Valley fur trade. Stó:lō people became important traders at these forts, exchanging salmon, furs and cranberries for metal tools and goods. European trade goods – and European diseases – continued to filter into the region, accelerating change. The Stó:lō suffered additional waves of smallpox, measles and influenza through the mid-1800s, further reducing their numbers. Oral histories refer to this era as the time of the “Great Sickness.” By the 1850s, the ancient villages near Agassiz had diminished, but not disappeared – survivors consolidated into a few resilient communities along the river.

Meanwhile, world events conspired to bring a tidal wave of newcomers to the valley. In 1858, the discovery of gold in the Fraser Canyon (just upriver from Agassiz) sparked the Fraser Canyon Gold Rush. Within months, some 30,000 prospectors – many of them Americans from the California goldfields – swarmed into British Columbia, scrambling upstream through Stó:lō lands in search of riches. The quiet backwater of Agassiz found itself on a busy travel corridor. One major route to the goldfields bypassed the dangerous Fraser Canyon by steamship and portage through Harrison Lake: prospectors would disembark at the Harrison River’s mouth and travel via Harrison Lake to Lillooet. As a result, paddlewheel steamboats began making regular stops in the area by the late 1850s. A townsite briefly sprang up at Harrison Mills (west of Agassiz) to transfer goods and miners between riverboats. Local Stó:lō traded with the newcomers, but they also witnessed tumult and violence – including the Fraser Canyon War of 1858, when tensions between miners and the Nlaka’pamux people erupted upriver. Disease struck again too: in 1862, a virulent smallpox outbreak (carried by miners from San Francisco) ripped through Indigenous communities along the Fraser, killing thousands. The Stó:lō were hard hit; one missionary at nearby Yale recorded whole villages lying in desolation from smallpox. The pre-contact population collapse that had begun in 1782 reached its nadir around this time. It’s estimated that up to two-thirds of the Fraser Valley’s Indigenous people perished in these 19th-century epidemics. The dark specter of smallpox is an unavoidable part of Agassiz’s early story – a tragedy often glossed over in settler histories, but one that devastated the stewards of this land.

By the mid-1860s, disease and colonial policies had forced the Stó:lō onto designated reserves – tiny fractions of their former territories – including Cheam, Seabird Island, Scowlitz, and others near Agassiz. On the Seabird Island reserve (just across the Fraser from Agassiz), survivors from several villages gathered. The island itself got its English name after the steamboat Sea Bird wrecked there during the gold rush era. In 1879, Seabird Island was officially set aside as a reserve, becoming a new home for many displaced Stó:lō families. Though diminished in number and now confined to limited lands, the Stó:lō community persisted – farming, fishing, and later sending children to the Coqualeetza and St. Mary’s residential schools (a new trial that would inflict deep wounds). Through all this, they kept their cultural knowledge alive as best they could, even as colonial authorities outlawed ceremonies and seized control of resources.

The Indigenous history of Agassiz in the 19th century is thus one of endurance amid catastrophe. By the time the first permanent settler homesteads appeared, the original inhabitants had been gravely weakened – yet they remained rooted in the soil of their ancestors, ready to interact with the newcomers from a position of resilience and cultural strength, despite all they had endured.

Colonial Settlers and the Founding of Agassiz

In the 1860s, with the Fraser Gold Rush over, a few intrepid settlers saw potential in the valley’s rich farmland. Among the earliest Europeans to actually settle in what is now Kent District were Timothy Burrill Hicks and the Agassiz family, arriving in the 1860s. Their timing was fortuitous: in 1866 the Colony of British Columbia had passed pre-emption laws encouraging British subjects to occupy and improve “unused” land (disregarding Indigenous use). The fertile plain between the Fraser River and Harrison Lake – nearly empty after the epidemics – beckoned as prime agricultural land.

Lewis Nunn Agassiz was the man who gave Agassiz its name. Born in Essex, England in 1827, Lewis was a member of an illustrious family of Swiss origin (distantly related to the famed naturalist Louis Agassiz). As a young man he served as a captain in the British Army (23rd Royal Welsh Fusiliers) and traveled widely. After retiring from the military, he emigrated to Canada with his wife Mary Caroline Schram – first to Prince Edward Island, then to Ontario. But the West’s allure proved too strong. Hearing of gold strikes, Captain Agassiz left his family behind in the early 1860s to try his luck in California and the Cariboo goldfields of BC. He found little gold, but he did find a new home. In 1862, Lewis Agassiz reunited with Mary and their children in Victoria, at the height of the smallpox outbreak. Perhaps seeking a healthier, quieter locale, the family soon moved up the Fraser. Lewis worked briefly as a constable and postmaster in rough-and-tumble Yale, then eyed the broad valley to the west as the ideal place to settle down.

In 1867, the Agassiz family pre-empted a tract of land in the eastern Fraser Valley and relocated there to farm. They chose a lovely spot near the Harrison River, with the snow-clad Cheam range in view. Lewis christened their new homestead “Ferny Coombe,” a pastoral English name reflecting the fern-filled little valley on their property. (In Halq’eméylem the area already had a name meaning “beautiful valley,” which suggests the Agassiz family certainly agreed with the original inhabitants’ assessment of the scenery.) The Agassiz farm began with the hard work of clearing forest and draining swampy patches. The family planted root crops and orchards, raised dairy cattle, and experimented with various grains and hops. Mary Caroline – of United Empire Loyalist stock – proved as hardy as any pioneer wife. While Lewis handled public roles and even local politics, it was Mary and their growing children who often kept the farm running day to day. In fact, local lore credits Mary Agassiz and her ten children with much of the early agricultural success, as Captain Agassiz had wanderlust that led him away again in a few years.

By the early 1870s, “Ferny Coombe” was a prosperous farmstead and a social hub for the handful of settler families in the area. The Hicks family, for whom Hicks Lake is named, farmed nearby and traded labor and supplies with the Agassizs. The Indigenous neighbours – including people at Seabird Island and Chehalis – also interacted with the settlers, sometimes trading salmon or offering local knowledge of when the river might flood. Communication was aided by Chinook Jargon, a trade language, as well as a few settlers learning Halkomelem words. Relations were generally cautious but peaceful; the Stó:lō people, though displaced, vastly outnumbered the settlers until well into the 1880s.

In 1875, Captain Lewis Agassiz, ever the adventurer, left BC on a globe-trotting tour – one last grand voyage. Incredibly, he traveled around the world solo, leaving Mary and the children to manage Ferny Coombe. Tragically, he fell ill and died in 1880 in Constantinople (Istanbul) while visiting his brother. He never saw his namesake town blossom. Mary Agassiz, however, remained and persevered, anchoring the family legacy in the valley. By then, the winds of change were really picking up in Agassiz.

One of the greatest drivers of change was the coming of the Canadian Pacific Railway. In the early 1880s, surveyors for the transcontinental CPR chose the north shore route of the Fraser River for the rail line from the interior to Vancouver. This meant steel tracks would slice right through the Agassiz farm. Construction crews arrived, and by 1885 the CPR mainline was completed through Agassiz, bringing with it a small boom. The once-isolated farm community suddenly became a railway stop on Canada’s new artery of commerce. A cluster of businesses and homes began to gather around the rail siding. The CPR built a modest station here, which unfortunately burned down in a gusty winter storm on January 31, 1893. It was quickly replaced with a sturdier wood station later that year – the very building that survives today as the Agassiz-Harrison Museum (one of Canada’s oldest remaining wooden railway stations). With trains now passing through daily, Agassiz grew into a true village. A general store, blacksmith shop, hotel, and school were established in the late 1880s and 1890s, serving both the settler farmers and the Stó:lō families from nearby reserves.

Up until this time, the community was still often called “Ferny Coombe” (after the Agassiz homestead) or just “Agassiz Farm.” But once the post office was founded in 1884, an official name was needed. Initially, the postal authorities actually named it Ferney Coombe Post Office (spelling Ferny with an extra 'e'). However, with the CPR’s arrival, the more straightforward name “Agassiz” took hold. In 1888, the post office and station name were formally changed to Agassiz, at the urging of BC’s Dominion land agent Joseph Trutch. Thus the community would permanently bear the Agassiz family name – a memorial to the first settler family’s impact. Trutch, incidentally, is remembered less fondly by First Nations (he was notorious for drastically reducing reserve sizes), but in this case his action simply honored the local pioneers.

Meanwhile, across the river from Agassiz, another new community was forming on Seabird Island. In 1887, a severe Fraser flood had driven many Indigenous people from their low-lying homes. The government moved a number of displaced families onto Seabird Island, boosting its population. By the 1890s the Seabird Island Band was thriving with farms of their own. Though segregated by colonial policy, the reserve and the settler town grew side by side, each learning from the other in agriculture and trade. Stó:lō farmers on Seabird were known for their potato and hop crops, which sometimes outdid their settler counterparts in quality.

In 1895, the loosely organized farming settlements were incorporated as the District of Kent, a municipal entity that included Agassiz and outlying areas like Harrison Mills and Mount Woodside. The choice of name “Kent” paid homage to the County of Kent in England – famous for its hop gardens – perhaps in hope that this BC Kent would likewise be prosperous in agriculture (indeed, hops were already an important crop here by then). The first District council set to work building dikes to tame minor floods and rudimentary roads to connect farms. By the turn of the century, Agassiz was a modest but solid frontier village, uniquely blending Indigenous and settler threads. One observer around 1900 noted that on market days, Sto:lo and settler farmers sold produce side by side at the railway platform – salmon and crafts from Chehalis, butter and cabbages from the Agassiz farm – with a lively exchange of gossip in Halkomelem, English, and Chinook Jargon. The fabric of a new community was weaving itself together.

An Agricultural Hub Blossoms: Hops, Corn and Community (1900–1940)

In the early 20th century, Agassiz hit its stride as an agricultural heartland. The same alluvial soils laid down by Ice Age floods proved extraordinarily fertile for a variety of crops. By 1900, hops (used in brewing beer) had become the star product – following in the footsteps of Kent, England. Family-owned hop yards spread across the valley, their tall poles and vines giving a distinctive look to summer fields. The Agassiz area’s hops were in high demand by coastal breweries. Each August and September, Stó:lō families and new Japanese and Chinese immigrants would join local pickers in harvesting the sticky green hop cones. It was hard but merry work; oral histories recount fiddle music and impromptu dances in the evenings at the pickers’ camps. The hops even drew coastal First Nations who traveled upriver seasonally for employment. Agassiz hops won prizes, and by the 1940s this region (along with Chilliwack next door) produced the bulk of Canada’s hops – a claim to fame while it lasted.

Dairy farming also took off. The Agassiz family had been early dairy enthusiasts, and others followed suit. Creameries were established to churn local milk into butter. The lush pastureland fed herds of dairy cows and beef cattle, and by the 1920s Agassiz milk, cheese, and beef were sold throughout the valley. Root vegetables thrived too – potatoes, cabbages, sugar beets, carrots – nourished by the mineral-rich loam. And an unusual crop for the time, sweet corn, began to gain popularity in the 1920s and ’30s as experimental varieties that could handle the climate were introduced.

A major catalyst for agricultural innovation was the Agassiz Dominion Experimental Farm, one of the first research farms in Western Canada. In 1889, following an Act of Parliament to improve farming nationwide, the federal government purchased a large estate just northwest of town to establish an agricultural research station. This Agassiz Experimental Farm was one of only five original experimental farms across Canada (and the only one in BC at the time). Scientists and agronomists arrived to study which crops and livestock strains would best suit the coastal BC environment. They tested fruit tree varieties, grains, forage grasses, and livestock breeds. Early on, the station specialized in horticulture and livestock; by 1900 it boasted over 3,000 test plant varieties on site. Local farmers benefited immensely from the expertise and new breeds coming out of the station. For example, the experimental farm introduced disease-resistant hops and new strains of corn that could ripen faster in the valley’s mild but short summer season. They also ran one of BC’s first agricultural training schools, where farm boys (and a few girls) could learn modern methods. The handsome old research farm, with its avenues of specimen trees and red-roofed barns, became a source of pride for Agassiz – and it’s still operating to this day, more than a century later, as the Agassiz Research and Development Centre.

Community life in Agassiz between 1900 and 1940 combined small-town simplicity with a dash of frontier progressivism. The population was never large (a few hundred people in the immediate town and district), but it was tight-knit. Churches were built – Anglican and Methodist congregations first – and the sound of hymns joined the misty morning chorus of train whistles and rooster crows. A local newspaper, the Agassiz Advance, began publishing in 1922, carrying both farm commodity prices and society gossip (“Two dozen attended Mrs. Smith’s tea social last Tuesday…”). By the 1930s, Agassiz even had its own cinema hall playing the latest talkies for 25 cents a ticket.

There was a strong spirit of cooperation and self-reliance. In 1914, when a fire razed the general store, the townsfolk all pitched in to raise a new one within weeks. During World War I, Agassiz farmers met quotas to supply butter and bacon for the troops overseas, and the community erected a cenotaph for its fallen sons (a modest obelisk that stands in Pioneer Park). Those were also years when automobiles began to appear on Agassiz’s dirt roads – the first owned by the local doctor, who bravely navigated the rutted lanes with his Model T to make house calls. The coming of cars meant pressure for better roads: by the 1920s, a gravel highway (today’s Highway 7) connected Agassiz westward to Mission, thanks to a bridge built over the Harrison River in 1926. Suddenly, one could drive a truck full of produce to markets further afield.

Amid the earnest industry, there were moments of levity and local lore. In the 1930s, Agassiz became indirectly famous for the Sasquatch, that legendary wild ape-man said to roam the forests. A Chehalis reserve schoolteacher named J.W. Burns popularized the anglicized term “Sasquatch” (from Halq’eméylem sasq’ets, meaning “hairy wild man”) in newspaper articles in the 1920s and ’30s. These articles, based on Sts’ailes (Chehalis) people’s accounts, captured the public imagination. The proximity of Harrison Hot Springs and Chehalis to Agassiz made the area the epicenter of “Bigfoot” lore. In 1938, capitalizing on this fame, Harrison Hot Springs hosted the inaugural Sasquatch Days festival. Over two thousand First Nations people from across BC and the US came for the two-day event. War-canoe races coursed across Harrison Lake, traditional songs were performed, and Sts’ailes elders told stories of the Sasquatch to curious visitors. The event playfully honored the elusive giant of the woods that had become a mascot of the region. Local residents joined in, some no doubt winking that the shy Sasquatch would never show himself to such a crowd. Sasquatch Days became an annual tradition (with interruptions) that still continues in the modern era as a celebration of Stó:lō culture and cross-cultural friendship. It is an enduring bit of quirky local heritage tied to Agassiz’s vicinity – a place where an Indigenous legend became part of broader pop culture.

As the 1930s drew to a close, Agassiz, like much of Canada, felt the strains of the Great Depression. Prices for hops and dairy fell sharply. Yet the community pulled together – no one went hungry if neighbors could help it. Many families supplemented incomes with big vegetable gardens and by harvesting abundant wild blackberries and salmon. On Saturday nights, townsfolk would gather for dances at the Agricultural Hall, fiddling away their worries. Perhaps it was this cooperative spirit that helped Agassiz weather not just economic woes but also the next great challenge lurking around the corner: the wrath of the river.

Flood, Corn and Change: Mid-Century Trials and Triumphs (1940–1970)

In the spring of 1948, disaster struck the Fraser Valley in one of the most dramatic natural events in local memory. A combination of heavy snowmelt and sudden warm rains swelled the Fraser River to record levels. In late May, the dikes gave way. The Great Flood of 1948 poured across the valley floor, turning farms into lakes overnight. Agassiz was inundated – fields, roads, even parts of the village were submerged under several feet of water. Families scrambled to higher ground (some evacuating to the second floor of the Agassiz train station or up Mount Woodside’s slope) and watched as barns and homes were swept away. The damage was immense. Crucially, the hop fields – which had been a pillar of the local economy – were devastated. The floodwater and silt ruined the hop plants and left a muddy wasteland where tidy rows once stood. The Advance reported that year: “Not a single hop yard in Kent District was spared; the hops are gone” – a blow to farmers who relied on that cash crop. Indeed, the 1948 flood effectively wiped out Agassiz’s hop industry in one swoop. For a community that once called itself “Hop capital of B.C.,” it was the end of an era.

Yet in true Agassiz spirit, the people found a silver lining in the mud. With hops no longer viable, farmers turned their expertise to another crop that loved the warm, silty soil left by the flood: corn. Sweet corn had been a minor player before, but after 1948 it quickly became king. Farmers selected their best corn cobs each year for seed, improving the strains season after season. Before long, Agassiz was blanketed each summer in tall green stalks with golden ears peeking out. The town embraced its new identity wholeheartedly – proclaiming itself the “Corn Capital of B.C.”. In 1949, the community launched an annual Corn Festival to celebrate the bumper harvest and boost morale after the flood. That year’s fall fair was expanded to include corn-centric events, a tradition that has continued every year since. Local girls competed for the title of Corn Queen, and corn-on-the-cob eating contests and corn husking races became staple entertainments. The Corn Festival and Fall Fair – still held every September – injected fun and pride, as residents turned a disaster into a delicious new legacy. Today, roadside stands piled high with fresh-picked cobs and the smiling cartoon corn logo on the town’s welcome sign remind visitors of this mid-century pivot to corn.

Post-war Agassiz also saw other changes. In the 1950s, transportation links greatly improved, further knitting the community into the region. The long-awaited Agassiz-Rosedale Bridge opened in 1956, finally connecting Agassiz by road to Chilliwack on the south side of the Fraser. Before that, one had to use an old ferry to cross the river. The new steel cantilever bridge (though only two lanes) was a marvel and speeded up commerce and travel. It symbolized Agassiz’s transition from a semi-isolated farming hamlet to an accessible small town. The Trans-Canada Highway also came through the area in the 1950s (on the opposite riverbank), putting Agassiz near a main artery, while the Lougheed Highway (BC Hwy 7) on Agassiz’s side was gradually upgraded.

Industry in Agassiz remained mostly agricultural, but a unique chapter in the town’s story unfolded in the early 1960s far from the cornfields. On a rise at the western end of Kent, the federal government constructed a maximum-security prison known as Mountain Institution. This facility was built specifically to house the Sons of Freedom Doukhobors, a radical breakaway sect of pacifist Russian immigrants who had been conducting arson and bombings in the Kootenays. In 1962, over 400 Sons of Freedom were convicted en masse for nude protests and burnings, and the government needed a secure but remote place to jail them. Agassiz’s empty land fit the bill. For several years, the strange sight of Doukhobor prisoners – with their long beards and chanting hymns – behind the wire in Agassiz made national news. Their wives and children camped nearby in a tent village to be close to their men, creating an bizarre social scene of pacifist protesters and bemused locals. Eventually the Sons of Freedom were released or transferred, and Mountain Institution became a standard federal prison (today it’s a medium-security penitentiary, still a local employer). But the episode lives on in local memory as the time Agassiz played host to an unlikely cultural drama: devout Russian sectarians transplanted into a Mennonite farming community. It was yet another reminder of the diverse human currents that have passed through this valley.

On the Indigenous front, the mid-20th century was a time of quiet struggle and survival. Stó:lō children from Seabird Island and other reserves were, by government mandate, sent to distant residential schools for much of the year, which deeply impacted family life. Potlatches and ceremonies were banned until 1951, so cultural practices went underground or were practiced in modified ways. Despite this, the ties between Indigenous and settler communities in Agassiz remained cordial on the surface. Some Sto:lo individuals became well-known in town for their skills – like Alec Peters, a master canoe carver from Chehalis who supplied many locals with dugout canoes and whose handiwork won prizes at fairs; or Mary Moses from Seabird, famed for her baskets and berry preserves. These everyday connections helped lay groundwork for better relations in later decades. By the late 1960s, Indigenous activism was rising province-wide. Locally, Stó:lō leaders were increasingly vocal in asserting their rights – pushing for things like better housing on reserves, equal schooling (the Seabird Island Community School was established in 1970, so kids could stay home), and recognition of unextinguished Aboriginal title. Though these efforts were slow to change government policy, they planted seeds for partnerships that would emerge in the future.

Through the 1960s and 70s, Agassiz itself grew modestly, staying true to its rural roots. The population in the District of Kent hovered under a few thousand. The lifestyle was still largely agricultural – with multi-generational family farms dotting the landscape. One by one, modern amenities appeared: a new high school was built, a larger library, a community recreation center by 1977, and the first traffic light (a big milestone for a small town!). But Agassiz never lost its country character. Neighbors still helped neighbors at harvest time; the coffee shop at Pioneer Avenue was filled every morning with farmers in muddy boots discussing weather; and every fall the Corn Festival parade marched proudly through town with tractors, 4-H club kids leading prize calves, and a Corn Queen float. The backdrop to all of this – Mount Cheam and the coastal ranges – remained as breathtaking and constant as ever, silently observing the valley’s ongoing human saga.

The Contemporary Tapestry: Agassiz Today and Tomorrow

As we move into the late 20th and 21st centuries, Agassiz continues to honor its layered history while adapting to new realities. Today, the District of Kent (which includes Agassiz and surrounding rural areas) is home to about 6,000 people. Farming is still a mainstay – drive through the area and you’ll see endless cornfields, dairy barns, and tractors at work – but the economy has diversified. Local farmers have branched out into blueberry and raspberry orchards, organic vegetables, and specialty products like artisanal cheeses and hazelnuts. Agassiz corn, however, remains iconic and every summer sees new roadside corn shacks popping up, selling ears by the dozen. The community’s branding as the Corn Capital endures with a mix of pride and good humor (even the local tourism brochures feature cartoon corn cobs wearing sunglasses).

Agassiz’s population has grown more varied. Descendants of early settlers still farm the land, but there are also new faces: urban professionals seeking a quieter life, retired couples drawn by the scenery, and young families finding homes more affordable here than in Vancouver. The Stó:lō presence is increasingly visible and respected. The Seabird Island Band, in particular, has become a leader in local initiatives – running a large annual youth powwow, establishing successful band-owned enterprises (like an automotive shop and garden center), and partnering with Kent District on environmental projects. In recent years, the wider community has begun to embrace Stó:lō cultural revival, attending longhouse ceremonies or language classes open to all. There is acknowledgement that this is unceded Indigenous land, and efforts at reconciliation are ongoing. In 2018, the District of Kent and Seabird Island co-hosted a moving ceremony to commemorate the 1862 smallpox epidemic, finally publicly mourning the massive loss of life that had occurred over a century and a half before.

The landscape itself is cherished more than ever. Locals have a deep environmental consciousness – perhaps because the land is so evidently the source of their livelihood and heritage. Modern Agassiz has faced new challenges like climate change, which brings warmer summers and altered river patterns. In response, farms and authorities collaborate on water management, river monitoring, and sustainable practices. There is also an active invasive species control program to protect native plants; for example, community volunteers and the Stó:lō have worked together to remove destructive knotweed and hogweed from riverbanks. This shared stewardship echoes the traditional Stó:lō ethos of living with the land, not just on it.

Despite being a small town, Agassiz doesn’t lack for character or stories. Ask any local about quirky events and you’ll hear a trove of anecdotes: the time Hollywood came to town to film a scene for a blockbuster movie on the Agassiz-Rosedale Bridge (traffic was stopped as a car stunt was performed); or the legendary winter of 1990 when a rare deep freeze turned local ponds to skating rinks and even the Harrison River saw ice – something not witnessed in decades, bringing joy to children and confusion to the trumpeter swans. And of course, Sasquatch sightings are still reported now and then in the surrounding forests (with tongue partly in cheek). In fact, Sasquatch tourism has become a fun sidebar – with nearby Sasquatch Provincial Park (named in 1968) offering wilderness hikes, and a chain of local businesses using the name (from Sasquatch Inn to Bigfoot Trading Post). Agassiz finds itself at the nexus of this folklore. While no one has definitively proven the hairy giant’s existence, the possibility adds a playful mystique to the mountains – a reminder that even in the modern age, mystery and magic linger in the land.

One cannot conclude the story of Agassiz without highlighting the sense of community resilience and unity that runs like a thread throughout its history. This valley has seen profound changes: from ice to forests, from Indigenous stewardship to colonial farms, from a railway outpost to an integrated modern town. It has experienced tragedies – epidemics, floods, dispossession – and yet time and again the people have rebuilt and adapted, without losing their connection to the landscape and to each other. Today, an observer can stand in Agassiz’s Pioneer Avenue: on one side of the street, the restored 1893 wooden CPR station (now a museum) evokes the steam era; on the other side, a contemporary library and cultural center symbolizes a forward-looking community. Beyond the rooftops, Mount Cheam (Lhílheqey) dominates the sky, as she has for millennia, watching over the town with her “striking face” and eternal vigilance. Her profile at sunrise is the same one that Sto:lo ancestors watched, that Lewis Agassiz admired when he first tilled the soil, and that schoolchildren today sketch in their notebooks. The continuity of the landscape provides a comforting counterpoint to the flux of history.

As Agassiz moves further into the 21st century, it balances growth with tradition. There is talk of expanding eco-tourism, given the area’s natural hot springs, scenic hiking trails, and eagle watching (the Harrison River is famous for one of the world’s largest winter bald eagle gatherings). The Agassiz-Harrison museum actively preserves local artifacts and stories, ensuring that new generations understand the Indigenous heritage, pioneer narratives, and even the fun folklore that make this place unique. Festivals like the Fall Fair & Corn Festival and Sasquatch Days continue to bring people together, bridging cultures and generations. On any given day, you might find elders – Stó:lō and settler alike – swapping yarns at the local café, while a group of teenagers practice canoe paddling down at the river for upcoming races. Life flows on in Agassiz at a gentle pace, in rhythm with the seasons and the Fraser’s currents.

In tracing Agassiz’s journey from the glacial age to the present, one sees a microcosm of Canadian history played out on a fertile stage: Indigenous society thriving, meeting newcomers, suffering injustice and disease, yet persevering; pioneers carving homesteads, building railways, and creating institutions; the land providing bounty and sometimes calamity; diverse peoples gradually forming a shared community. It is a story of sorrow and laughter, of industry and legend. Agassiz’s history has its dark chapters – the impact of smallpox, the appropriation of land – and these are now openly acknowledged and remembered so that healing can occur. It also has chapters of great hope and humor – the founding of Freedom Village by liberated slaves, the reinvention as a Corn Capital, or the world-famous Sasquatch lore that adds a twinkle to the region’s eye.

Above all, the history of Agassiz is alive. It lives in the land and its people today. When you walk through Agassiz, you literally tread on layers of history: the deep sediments of an ancient lakebed, the buried ashes of Sto:lo longhouses, the survey stakes of colonial farmers, and the foundations of century-old shops. Each era has left its mark and its lessons. And fittingly, both Indigenous and settler narratives are now honored in the telling of this town’s tale, creating a richer, more nuanced understanding of what Agassiz was and is. As elders often say in Stó:lō communities: “We have always been here, and we are still here.” In Agassiz, the Stó:lō presence remains a living thread, alongside the descendants of immigrants from across the globe, all contributing to the valley’s ongoing story.

Standing on the river’s edge at Agassiz at dusk, one can imagine ghosts of the past – a Stó:lō fisherman checking his salmon net, a sternwheeler chugging by with gold prospectors, a farmer driving a horse-drawn wagon piled high with hops, children laughing at a fair, perhaps even a shadowy Sasquatch peering from the treeline. The Fraser River flows on, as it has since the ice receded, carrying memories out to sea. And yet this place is not frozen in the past – it is vibrant and evolving. Agassiz today is a community that remembers where it came from and uses that knowledge to guide where it’s going. In that way, the narrative of Agassiz is not a closed book but an unfolding story – one of reconciliation, sustainability, and the enduring partnership between people and the remarkable land that sustains them. The wild strawberries still grow in hidden corners of the valley, a gentle reminder that, beneath all the layers of history, the essence of Xwchíyò:m – “beautiful, fruitful valley” remains, waiting to enrich all who call Agassiz home.

Sources & further reading

Curated links that informed the narrative, with short notes on what each offers (maps, timelines, origin stories, primary docs, and local archives).

Deep time & geology

Stó·lō origin stories & place

Smallpox, Freedom Village (Chi’ckim), and early contact

Hudson’s Bay Company era, Simon Fraser, and early posts

Naming, local government, and population

Seabird Island / Sq’éwqel (Sts’ailes and Stó:lō world)

Agriculture, the Experimental Farm, and “Corn Capital”

Rail, station, and local archives

Bridges, ferries, and roads

Sasquatch, Sts’ailes, and living tradition

Eagles, salmon, and seasonal spectacles

Corrections history & the Sons of Freedom (Doukhobors)

Harrison Mills & Kilby Historic Site

More on Agassiz’s Experimental Farm and local agriculture